This course contains a collection of concepts that range from common sense to cutting edge. The one thing they have in common is that they are all crucial for developing a solid understanding of dog training and behavior. This course is perfect for anyone that wants to understand how to raise a well-trained companion dog, or anyone that is interested in learning more about how to better train their current dog.
Much of the seminar deals with motivating your dog by making training into an enjoyable activity that functions as it's own reward, thereby eliminating the continued reliance on training tools and food lures.
Of course, dogs don't always do what we want, so much of this seminar also focuses on how to correct misbehavior. By redirecting our dogs to appropriate behaviors we not only stop them from misbehaving, we also ensure that they are doing the right thing, all without pain or fear.
Almost every dog will, at some point, develop a phobia or reactivity problem so it's also crucial that dog owners and trainers understand how to quickly and easily address these issues. Differential Classical Conditioning, the Jolly Routine and the use of Secondary Reinforcers can quickly resolve these problems.
Finally, Dr. Dunbar will explain an idea that should be common sense, but is becoming increasingly cutting edge in today's world of overly clinical and mechanical dog training. He will show you how to turn your voice into the most powerful tool in dog training.
This online seminar consists of six hours of video lecture. It has been approved for 6 continued education credits by the CCPDT, IAABC & NADOI. You can download a certificate of achievement when you've completed this course.
- 01 Introduction
- 02 Your Puppy’s Success: It’s A Team Effort
- 03 Ready… Steady… Socialize!
- 04 How to Create a Social Butterfly
- 05 The Importance of Education
- 06 Nature vs Nurture
- 07 Introduction to Reward Based Training Techniques
- 08 Reward Based Training Techniques Reviewed
- 09 Applying and Improving Learning Theory
- 10 Basic Training Sequence: 1, 2, 3, 4
- 11 Phase Out The Food!
- 12 Introduction to Reinforcement Schedules
- 13 Reinforcement Schedules Reviewed
- 14 The Rapid Recall Formula
- 15 Undesirable Behavior 1: Punishment
- 16 Undesirable Behavior 2: Non-aversive Punishment
- 17 Undesirable Behavior 3: Redirection
- 18 Undesirable Behavior 4: Examples
- 19 Prior Proper Preparation
- 20 Proofing and Quantification
- 21 Off-Leash Reliability
- 22 RRC&R Repetitive Instruction Until Compliance and Repeat
- 23 What Do Owners Need to Know?
- 24 Vocabulary Building Exercises
Dr. Ian Dunbar
World-renowned dog trainer, veterinarian, and animal behaviorist
About the instructor
Dr. Ian Dunbar is one of the world's most respected experts on dog training and behavior. He grew up on a farm, training cows, chickens and yes, dogs. He received his veterinary degree from the Royal Veterinary College at London University and his doctorate from the University of California, Berkeley.
In 1982, he designed and taught the world's very first off-leash puppy socialization and training classes – SIRIUS® Puppy Training. Subsequently, he created and developed the San Francisco SPCA's Animal Behavior Department, he started the American Kennel Club's Gazette "Behavior" column, which he wrote for seven years, and he designed and organized the K9 GAMES®.
In 1993, he founded the Association of Professional Dog Trainers. With over 5000 members in 48 countries, the APDT has grown to be the world's largest association of dog trainers.
He has authored numerous books and videos, including five seasons of Dogs with Dunbar, a popular television program in the UK.
He has given over one thousand seminars and workshops around the world and has been instrumental in the rise of reward-based, fun and games, scientifically sound dog training methods.