If you are interested in truly understanding dog behavior, then you need to understand the many fascinating elements that govern canine reproduction. Sexual behaviors and parental behaviors are integral to every dog’s personality, and learning about these subjects provides profound insights into their lives. In fact, studying canine reproductive behavior can provide many insights into our own lives! And of course, if you’re a dog breeder, or you’re thinking of becoming one, then this course will be of immense practical benefit to you as well. Frankly, this course should probably be mandatory for anyone who’s interested in breeding dogs. No one should bring a new litter of puppies into this world if they have not educated themselves such that they will be able to do so responsibly. That means ensuring the puppies they produce will be healthy, well-behaved, well-socialized and will end up with responsible families who are capable of maintaining their care and training. Understanding the canine reproductive physiology and behavior is an excellent place to start.
- The behaviors and physiology of dog reproduction, both the natural/wild way and the human-guided/breeding way.
- The fundamentals of natural selection and genetics.
- How to use behavior to accurately determine the time of ovulation.
- The unique endocrinology of dogs, which is substantially different from all other mammals.
- Domesticity and breeding for promiscuity.
- Sexual partner selection in female dogs. The importance and value of canine courtship.
- Behavior differences between male and female dogs.
- Human-guided reproduction in domestic animals (breeding).
- Genetic diseases and genetic diversity (or lack thereof) in pure-bred dogs.
- How to improve the genetic health of dog breeds.
- The pros and cons of artificial insemination.
- The physiological triggers of maternal behavior and the dangers of elective cesareans.
- The canine estrus cycle and birth process.
- Thanks for registering for this course
- Lecture Notes
- Video 1
- Video 2
- Video 3
- Video 4
- Video 5
- Video 6
- Video 7
- A brief note about our puppy philosophy
- BEFORE You Get a Puppy
- AFTER You Get Your Puppy
- Pregnancy & Whelping