Dr. Dunbar taught the world's very first off-leash puppy socialization and training classes and he has been perfecting the SIRIUS Dog Training business model for the past 30 years. If you are a dog training professional, or you're thinking of becoming one, this is the course you simply must take.
The SIRIUS Academy is a structured and comprehensive course on how to run a successful dog training business. This course cuts to the chase and focuses on the essential information that you absolutely need to know in order to effectively teach people to train dogs as quickly, easily and enjoyably as possible.The full Academy consists of all 4 days of lecture, 6+ hours each, as well as substantial notes, including notes for the lectures, a Behavior Problem Solving Matrix, and the complete SIRIUS Syllabi for Puppy 1, Puppy 2, and Adult 1 classes, with week-by-week-schedules and minute-by-minute class notes. You will also get two free eBooks and 16 Behavior Blueprints which you can customize with your business information and distribute freely to clients and colleagues to aid in training and promotion.
“Whether you're new to dog training and wondering how to get started in the business, or you've been doing it for ages (like me) and you're looking for some fresh ideas to super-charge your business, this is the very best place to get what you need. I found myself taking detailed notes for some long-term changes, and then also jotting down little nuggets of gold to go home and immediately implement into my classes or business practices…This four-day event, and yes, you MUST attend all four days, offers the attendee who already has some hands-on experience with dogs everything they need to start up their own classes. Those of us who've already been running our own classes come away with many new ideas for classroom games and exercises for both puppies and adult dogs, PLUS a comprehensive, tested plan to measure and increase our success, and to market ourselves (which we could all use help with).I am so excited to make some changes! Thanks so much for everything!"
- Michelle Douglas, CPDT-KA, CDBC – Past President of the APDT
- You will learn to manage and promote a dog training business.
- You will learn to use games and quantification to train and motivate people to train their dogs.
- You will learn to solve a wide variety of dog behavior problems, using the Behavior Problem Solving Matrix
- You will learn how to conduct dog training classes for puppies and adult dogs.
- You will learn to assess the severity of dog biting and fighting, and how to safely devise treatment and management plan.
This online course has been approved for 21 CEUs by the CCPDT, IAABC & NADOI
- Day 1 Overview
- Lecture Notes for SIRIUS Academy 1
- Notes for Video 1-1
- Video 1.1 Pet Dog Training = People Training
- Notes for Video 1-2
- Video 1.2 Formulas for Business Success
- Notes for Video 1-3
- Video 1.3 Promotion: What it's All About!
- Notes for Video 1-4
- Video 1.4 Training People to Train Their Dogs
- Notes for Video 1.5
- Video 1.5 The Fork in the Road & The Bozo Game
- Notes for Video 1-6
- Video 1.6 Use the Force
- Bonus Content: (Recorded) Q+A Webinar on Promotion, Community Outreach and Networking
- Lecture Notes - Day 4
- Notes for Video 4-1
- Video 4.1 Unleashing Puppy Potential
- Notes for Video 4-2
- Video 4.2 Ouch! Teaching Bite Inhibition
- Notes for Video 4-3
- Video 4.3 The Essential Puppy Class I and II
- Notes for Video 4-4
- Video 4.4 Triage to Compliance
- Notes for Video 4-5
- Video 4.5 Bungee Basics
- Notes for Video 4-6
- Video 4.6 Desensitization and Discrimination
What others have been saying about this course:
Exellent Course. Very pleased to be taught by Dr. Dunbar.
Dr. Ian Dunbar
World-renowned dog trainer, veterinarian, and animal behaviorist
About the instructor
Dr. Ian Dunbar is one of the world's most respected experts on dog training and behavior. He grew up on a farm, training cows, chickens and yes, dogs. He received his veterinary degree from the Royal Veterinary College at London University and his doctorate from the University of California, Berkeley.
In 1982, he designed and taught the world's very first off-leash puppy socialization and training classes – SIRIUS® Puppy Training. Subsequently, he created and developed the San Francisco SPCA's Animal Behavior Department, he started the American Kennel Club's Gazette "Behavior" column, which he wrote for seven years, and he designed and organized the K9 GAMES®.
In 1993, he founded the Association of Professional Dog Trainers. With over 5000 members in 48 countries, the APDT has grown to be the world's largest association of dog trainers.
He has authored numerous books and videos, including five seasons of Dogs with Dunbar, a popular television program in the UK.
He has given over one thousand seminars and workshops around the world and has been instrumental in the rise of reward-based, fun and games, scientifically sound dog training methods.